Julia Mahoney Genealogy

This page is about the genealogy of Julia Mahoney, who emigrated from Bandon, County Cork, Ireland to Westfield, Massachusetts in 1891 at the age of sixteen. She made the crossing on the White Star liner Germanic, arriving in Boston and going from there by train to Northampton and Westfield. Julia and her mother, Johanna (Sexton) Mahoney, ran a boarding house in Westfield and took in many Mahoneys and others emigrating during that time. In the United States, Julia met and married Patrick Boland (originally from Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula in Kerry). They had three daughters and eventually moved to Springfield, Mass., in the Hungry Hill neighborhood, an Irish section of the city. It was evidently named after Hungry Hill, Cork, immortalized in 1943 by Daphne du Maurier.

Many Kerrymen also settled in Hungry Hill. At the western end of the Dingle Peninsula lie the Blasket Islands, which have been the subject of many books as a last outpost of traditional Irish culture. A German web page titled Next Parish America states: "The large Blasket is the outermost edge of Western Europe - approximately 2000 miles from the next point of land of North America. Generations of young Islanders thought over their chances on better living conditions. They looked in both directions before they decided. Some made finally the short ferry passage over the Sund and settled in Dunquin, Ballydavid or Muirioch. Others selected the western direction and embarked in Queenstown to America. With their Irish native language they were hardly better off than other European emigrants such as Russians, Ukrainians, Poles, Greeks, Italians and Germans, for whom English was a completely new language. The predominant majority of the island inhabitants went to Springfield, Massachusetts, and many settled in a city area which goes by the name Hungry Hill. Here one can still encounter groups of men and women who speak west Kerry Irish."

There is also general information on this page about the Mahoney surname, and Irish history.

Descendants of Julia Mahoney's parents, John O'Mahony and Johanna Sexton.



 A Sept possessing the territory of Hy Eathach, or Ivaugh, co. Cork, deriving their name from Mathghamhna, Chief of the Sept, 1014

Arms -- Quarterly: 1st and 4th, or, a lion rampant, az.; 2nd, per pale arg. and gules a lion rampant counterchanged; 3rd arg., a chevron gules between three snakes torqued ppr.

Crest -- Out of a viscount's coronet or, an arm in armour embowed, holding a sword ppr. pommel and hilt or, pierced through a fleur-de-lis az. Another Crest -- A naked arm embowed, the hand grasping a sword flammant all ppr.

Motto: In Irish: Lasair romhuin a-buadh
In English: It blazes before us to victory

Seat -- Dunloe Castle, Killarney, County Kerry (in a direct line from O'Mahony of Kinalmeaky, County Cork)




Dunloe Castle was built in 1215

There is an intriguing story relating how the Mahonys came into possession of Dunloe. At one time the castle was occupied by Charles Sugrue and his wife Honoria O'Connell. They had two male heirs, Mortogh and Timothy. On the death of Charles Sugrue, Honoria married the family tutor, a man named Mahony--first name not given, but known to be a Protestant and a native of Cork. Soon, Mortogh was found murdered on the grounds of Dunloe Castle, and Mahony, who then seized the property, is credited with the murder. Timothy Sugrue came into an agreement with Mahony, receiving 36 farms for his share of the estate, Mahony keeping the remainder.

From John Carr, The Stranger in Ireland: or, A Tour in the Southern and Western Part of that Country in the Year 1805 (1807):

The next morning we set off by water for Dunloe castle, the seat of Major Mahony, standing upon the river Laune, or Lune, beyond the north end of the lower lake, which is nine miles long. The mouth of this river is so shallow, that we were obliged to get into a smaller boat, and were nearly lifted over several shallows. It is the only outlet from the lake, which receives from the surrounding mountains many plentiful streams, and discharges itself into the ocean about seven or eight miles distant. It separates O'Sullivan's country, as it is called, though it belongs to Mr. Herbert, from the estate of Macarthymore, which completes the western boundary of the lower lake. The lower people of Kerry are celebrated for their classical spirit. A gentleman, who alighted from his horse to take a view of the ancient family seat of Macarthymore, some years since, gave the bridle to a poor boy to hold, who seemed very anxious to be employed that way; the traveler, struck with his manner, entered into conversation with him, and to his astonishment found, under an appearance of the most abject poverty, that he was well acquainted with the best Latin poets, had read most of the historians, and was then studying the orations of Cicero.

Upon our arrival at the castle, we found our horses ready saddled, and we immediately preceded a frightful scene of desolation, called the Gap, about three miles distant... I felt no indisposition to quit this desolate region and return to Dunloe castle, where we found an excellent dinner, and an Irish welcome, waiting our arrival. In the woods near the castle, we passed by some of its towers and apartments, which the cannon of Cromwell and the rending hand of time, had laid prostrate. The part that retains its perpendicularity still preserves the dignified name of a castle, although it has only one room on a floor, and many of the family are obliged to be accommodated in out offices. I should think the castle, like many others which I saw in Ireland, must have been small. Very few can have been places of defence. The pride of ancient Irish gentry induced them to dignify their residences with the name of castles; that of a house, which is now so much the fashion in England, that every citizen's little box, with forty yards square of shrubbery, flower, and kitchen-garden, bears the pompous name, was called in Irish, by way of contempt, clahane, or a heap of stones. In Ledwich's Antiquities, there is the following account of Irish castles:



from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1831):

BANDON or BANDONBRIDGE, a borough, market, and post town, partly in the parish of Kilbrogan, barony of Kinalmeaky, but chiefly in that of Ballymodan, partly in the barony of Kinalmeaky, and partly in the East Division of the barony of East Carbery, County of Cork, and province of Munster, 15-½ miles (S.W.) from Cork, and 141-½ (S.W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 9917 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the erection of a bridge over the river Bandon, and owes its origin to the English planters on the great Desmond forfeitures in the reign of Elizabeth. It is first noticed in 1609, when Jas. I granted to Henry Becher, Esq., the privilege of a Saturday's market and two fairs at the town lately built on the south side of the river Bandon, near the bridge; and in the grant made to Becher, in 1612, of a moiety of Kinalmeaky, which was erected into the manor of "Castle Mahowne," power was given to him and his heirs to appoint a clerk of the market in the newly-erected town called Bandon-Bridge, or in any other town within the said territory, with the privilege of licensing all tradesmen and artisans settling therein. These grants were shortly thereafterward purchased by the first Earl of Cork, whose exertions in promoting its growth and prosperity entitle him to be regarded as the founder of the town, which he peopled with a colony of Protestants from Bristol, and which in a few years, from a mere waste of bog and wood, became a spacious, handsome, and well-fortified place, continuing to flourish and to increase in extent and importance. At the commencement of the civil war in 1641, the town was placed under the government of Lord Kinalmeaky, son of the Earl of Cork, who took possession of it in January 1642, and mustering all the inhabitants put it into an excellent state of defense. As it was the only walled town in this part of the country, it became an asylum for the English of the surrounding district, and by its own resources maintained four companies of foot, raised a corps of volunteers, and made every preparation  for offensive and defensive warfare. On the 18th of February a party of Irish under McCarty Reagh approached, when Lord Kinalmeaky sallying out with 200 foot and 60 horse, a severe conflict ensued, in which, without the loss of a single townsman, more than 100 of the assailants were killed. The inhabitants soon afterwards, in conjunction with a troop from Kinsale, defeated another party that had lain in ambush to surprise them, and in a short time took several forts in the adjacent territory which had been held by the Irish; they also killed fifty who had made an attempt to carry off their cattle; but on Cromwell's approach in 1649, they declared for the Parliament. In 1688, hearing that the Earl of Clancarty was advancing with six companies of foot of the army of Jas. II, to reinforce the two companies of foot and the troop of horse already stationed there, the inhabitants disarmed the garrison, killed several of the soldiers, took possession of the arms and horses, and shut the gates against the Earl. At length, however, they were obliged to yield for want of provisions, but refused to give up any of their leaders, and consented to pay £1000 as the price of their pardon; on their submission the walls were razed to the ground and never rebuilt.

The town is situated on the river Bandon, and on the mail coach road from Cork to Bantry; the principal part lies lies in a valley environed with lofty hills and watered by the river, which separates the parishes of Ballymodan and Kilbrogan, the former on the south and the latter on the north bank, and near the bridge receives a tributary stream called the Bridewell. Under the various names of Boyle-street, Shannon-street, and Main-street it extends on the south side for about 1½ mile parallel with the river, and on the north for about half that distance; it is also built partly on the acclivities of the hills on both sides of the river, which are agreeably wooded and are ornamented with several mansions, villas, and cottages, that give to the environs a pleasing and picturesque appearance. The old town is built on the estate of the Duke of Devonshire, who repairs its streets and is reimbursed by a poundage of five per cent on the rent reserved in all leases of houses in this part; what is called the Irish town, including Boyle, Shannon and Main streets, with an estate adjoining, belongs to the Earl of Shannon; and the western portion is the property of the Earls of Cork and Bandon. The total number of houses, in 1831, was 1580, of which 1170 were slated and the remainder thatched.

CORK (County of), a maritime province of the province of Munster, and the largest in Ireland, bounded on the east by the counties of Tipperary and Waterford, and on the north by Limerick, and on the west by that of Kerry, and on the south-west, south, and south-east by St. George's Channel... and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1,725,100 statute acres, of which 1,024,340 are cultivated, and 700,760 are occupied by mountains, bogs, &c. The population, in 1821, was 629,786, and in 1831, 700,359, of which latter number, 407,935 were in the East, and 292,424 in the West, Riding.

The earliest inhabitants of the south-western part of this extensive territory are designated by Ptolemy Uterni or Uterini, and by other writers Iberni, Iberi, and Juerni. They occupied most of the southern part of that country called Desmond: their name and situation prove them to be of Spanish Iberian origin, and the former, as well as that of the tribes from which they sprung, and the designation Ibernia or Hibernia, applied to the whole island even by Ptolemy, was derived from the western situation of the country which they inhabited...



a more modern entry for Bandon from http://www.foundmark.com/Great/Westcork.html:

Just 20 minutes from Cork on the Bandon River lies the flourishing town of Bandon, a gateway to the scenic beauties of West Cork. Bandon was a walled town founded in the time of Elizabeth I as a bulwark to protect the English conquest from the neighbouring Irish - a Protestant colony or `outpost' in Gaelic terrain. In 1608 Richard Boyle [1st Earl of Cork] received the lands of the expelled Gaelic Chiefs (the MacCarthys, O'Mahonys, O'Driscolls, Desmond Geraldines) and planted lands with English Protestant settlers. Over the town gate was written: ``Turk, Jew or Atheist may enter here, but not a Papist." A local wit is said to have added: ``Whoever wrote this, wrote it well - for the same is written on the gates of hell!"

Today the town boasts many gracious residences, hotels and guest houses, as well as fine public buildings. There are excellent shops and a flourishing pottery. Bandon offers a wide range of sporting activities including golf, salmon fishing, angling, horse-riding, bowling and cycling. The Bandon Weir project nearby is a beautiful white water weir and wildlife sanctuary, offering the visitor scenic views, leaping salmon, and includes a wild duck feeding area. Full details from P.O'Sullivan, Tel (023) 41533.

The West Cork Heritage Centre, located at Christchurch, Bandon, runs special exhibitions on themes relating to history, archeology, nature, crafts and other subjects. Christchurch itself is of interest. Step back in time and see the craft of the wheelwright and harness maker, or visit the country kitchen and dairy. Discover about ancient Ring Forts and Crannogs. It was built in 1610 on the site of a Danish fort, and is among the earliest churches erected in Ireland for Protestant worship. It was de-consecrated in 1973, having served the community for 363 years. The centre is open Mon-Sat, 10-18.00 hrs, Sundays 14-18.00hrs. Group Bookings Tel 023-44193.


from: www.irish-times.com
O'Mahony, the most common contemporary form of the name, comes from the Irish Ó Mathghamhna [modern spelling Ó Mahúna] , stemming, like MacMahon, from mathghamhan, meaning bear.

The surname was adopted in the 11th century by one of the dominant families of the Munster Eoghanacht [OH-uh-nakt] peoples. The individual from whom the name derives was the child of a marriage between Cian, chief of the Cenel Aeda, and Sadhbh, daughter of Brian Ború.

With the rise of the MacCarthys in the 12th century, the influence of the O'Mahonys declined, and was largely confined to West Cork, the area with which they are still most strongly associated. In this area, perhaps because of its remoteness, they retained a large measure of power and wealth until the final collapse of Gaelic power in the wars of the 17th century. According to the account of Sir Richard Cox, writing in that century, there were at least 12 O'Mahony castles in the area. In addition, minor branches of the family--minor purely in terms of seniority--were created in Muskerry and Kinalmeaky baronies in County Cork, in particular in the area around the modern town of Bandon.

There were eight principal sept names and five minor septs. The historian, Canon John O'Mahony, recorded with a high degree of scholarship a remarkable account of the O'Mahony septs of Kinalmeaky and Ivaghadown to the 17th century. From thence, however, the record-keeping is meager. The Irish diaspora in the wake of oppression, poverty and famine left a gap in the legacy of family history; much of the oral tradition has gone unrecorded and whatever exists today perishes with the passing of each generation.



The book referred to above is by J. B. O'Mahoney, "A History of the O'Mahony septs of Kinalmeaky and Iveragh," published 1912 [National Library, Dublin, call no. Ir 9292 o 20]

A sept is a division of a tribe, especially in ancient or medieval Ireland; clan.



from John O'Hart, Irish Pedigrees (1915):

Brian Boroimhe [Ború], the 175th Monarch of Ireland: a younger son of Cineadh; b. 926, at Kincora, the royal seat of his ancestors; and fell by the hand of Brodar, the Danish admiral, at the Battle of Clontarf, on Good Friday, the 23rd of April, 1014, in the 88th year of his age. This Brian ("Brian": Irish, very great strength), was the ancestor of O'Brien, Kings of Thomond. He had eleven brothers, of whom only four left issue, viz:

His third wife was Gormliath, the "Kormloda" of Icelandic history, sister of Maolmora, King of Leinster, and relict of Aulaf, the Danish king of Dublin... By Gormliath Brian had Donogh... and a daughter Sabh, who m. Cian, who is [on the] O'Mahony pedigree, by whom she had Mathgabhuin, the founder of the family of O'Mahony, in the county Cork.


Tim Cadogan writes in The Surnames of County Cork that while several of the most numerous surnames in County Cork such as MacCarthy, O'Sullivan, O'Callahan and Crowley are relative latecomers to the region, "from longer established groupings in County Cork, such as the Corca Laidhe, the Muscraighe and the Eoghanachts of the Cork region, emerged such family names as O'Driscoll, O'Leary, Cronin; Murphy; O'Mahony and O'Keeffe, respectively..." As for geographical distribution, "O'Donovan, O'Driscoll and O'Mahony, more widely spread nowadays, were core West Cork surnames in the nineteenth century."


from: Irish Pedigrees (1886):

The O'Mahonys possessed Hy-Eachach Mumhan, now the barony of Iveragh, in the south-west of the County of Cork; Cineal-mBeice, now the barony of Kinalmeaky; Cineal-Aodh, now the barony of Kinalea; Tiobrad, in the barony of Iveragh, county of Kerry, from the chiefs of this district are descended the O'Mahonys of Dunloe, represented in 1864 by Daniel O'Mahony. The O'Mahony of Castle Quin--Myles, son of Cian, son of Myles, son of Cian--descended from Conor O'Mahony of Kinalmeaky who lost his estates in the Desmond wars, thence he removed to Kerry; and the O'Mahony of Dromore Castle--Denis, son of Richard-John, son of Denis, son of John--from Dermod O'Mahony, who fought and fell on the side of Aughrim, on the side of James (Stuart) II, King of England.

We believe the present representatives (1886) of Cian, prince of Kinalmeaky, are John (Cian) O'Mahony of Clothduff, barony of Muscry, whose brothers are Rev. Michael O'Mahony, C.C., Upper Glanmire, and Rev. Denis O'Mahony, C.C. Nucestown, Enniskean, county Cork. The eldest representative is Jeremiah O'Mahony, of Shanacloyne, parish of Templemartine, and barony of Kinalmeaky, aged 100 years, whose sons are John of Curravordy, and Bartholomew of Shanacloyne, both married and have many children.

Cian had his residence in s strongly fortified fort, now called Cathair Mór, in the townland of Gurranes, barony of Kinalmeaky; this fort is nearly entire, of a circular form, and surrounded by three embankments and a deep fosse; there are traces of a second fosse. A few paces to the west of Cathair Mór is another fort called Lios na m-ban or the fort of the women; here the Princess Sadhbh held her court: and to the east and south-east of Cathair Mór are the remains of other forts of a smaller size, the residences of the military and civil dependents of Cian. Another fortified residence of the O'Mahonys was Grian-na-hunic (now Mossgrove) in Kinalmeaky, which was dismantled some few years ago for material to erect a farmhouse and offices, by a farmer named Desmond. Tradition relates this fortification and surrounding country to have been possessed by a Colonel, Donal O'Mahony, a remote ancestor of the O'Mahonys of Clothduff and Shanacloyne. There are ample grounds to show that this family possessed nearly all the country occupied at a later date by the MacCarthys Reagh, Glas, Duna, and part of Muscry, together with that taken by the O'Sullivans.

The O'Mahonys had castles at Rathlin (now Lord Bandon's castle); Ardinterran (now Ardintenant); Ringmahon; Dunbeacon; Dunmanus; Rosbrin; Blackcastle (Schull); Ballydevlin (Kilmore); Dromdeely (county Limerick); and Ballymodan (East Carberry).

The last Prince of Rathlin was Connor O'Mahony of Kinalmeaky, who at the age of 23 years fought and fell on the National side in the Desmond wars: he left issue, who are now, mostly farmers on the soil of their ancestors.



from Jeremiah O'Mahony, West Cork Parish Histories and Placenames, published by The Kerryman, Ltd. (no date):

Jeremiah O'Mahony was the schoolmaster in Castletownkenneigh National School (Enniskeane Parish). His son, Canon Liam O'Mahony, is at present Parish Priest of our next-door parish of Newcestown.

Kilmurry Parish

The present parish of Kilmurry, lying east of Kilmichael, is bounded on the north by the River Lee, and on the south by the Bride, at its western end, but extends beyond the Bride in a south-eastern direction. The western part of it has a common early history with Kilmichael, and formed part of the original Ifflanloe. The eastern end from Castlemore to Aherla had more intimate connection with Cineal Aodha. Castlemore was originally known as Dun Draighneain (Drinan's fort), which is mentioned as one of the forts belonging to Rath Raithleann, over two miles to the south.

The western part of Kilmurry, including twenty ploughlands, was given by the Kinelea chief to a kinsman from the west named Finghin, a first cousin of Tadhg an Oir, to whom he had given Ifflanloe, Uimh Flann Luadh. This territory embraced most of Moviddy and parts of Kilmurry and Canovee.

This branch of the O'Mahonys came to be known as the O'Mahony Fineens, from Fineen its founder, and later from one of its members, Donogh Ruadh, it got the nickname Ruadh, and they were called the O'Mahony Ruadh. Descendants of both families are, I believe, still existing as O'Mahony Fineens and O'Mahony Ruadhs.

Like their kinsmen of Kilmichael, they suffered the encroachments of the McCarthys and MacSwineys, but held their land till they, too, got involved in rebellion against the foreigner. Even after confiscation they held on to some of their patrimony and one of them, Fineen Ruadh (Roe) O'Mahony, was owner of Pullerick, 726 acres. He died in the year 1628. His son was owner of the townland of Ballymichael, near Kilmurry.

The senior representative of this branch was Diarimuid [an Irish form of Jeremiah; also Dermot] O'Mahony (1617 to 1663). He was the owner in fee of Farnanes in the parish of Moviddy. He took part in the 1641 rising and his lands were confiscated. He recovered them after the Restoration of Charles II and died in 1663. Thomas Crook, an English planter, from whom Crookstown got its name, got it as part of the Clancarty estate, confiscated after 1690, and thus passed out this old branch of the O'Mahony family. Some of their descendants were known as O'Mahony Ceitherne, or O'Mahony Kearney. Two of those families that I know of are now extinct though others may remain. The following is the genealogical list of this sub sept: Finghin, Cian, Donogh, Donogh Ruadh, Maolrnuadh, Mahon, Diarmuid, Mahon, Domnal, Tadhg, Finghin, Tadhg and Diarmuid, who is mentioned above as owner of Farnanes. This list may help some descendants to trace their origin.

A third sub sept of the O'Mahony was formed in the latter part of the fourteenth century. This is variously given as Clan Concobhair, or Clan Conogher, the latter form being obviously an anglicized corruption of the former. This was further corrupted when descendants of the sept came to be known as the O'Mahony Cno, an abbreviation of Conogher.

This sept had some sixteen or eighteen ploughlands, partly in Kilmurry and partly in Kilmichael. In an old manuscript Donogh O'Mahony is represented as having Coolmacow, and possibly Curraclogh, Pullerick, and Currabeg, so that we may assume their original habitat was in this locality.

The chief who got the district from his Bandon relative, was named Donogh, and he was fourth in descent from Concobhar, first O'Mahony of Carbery. His successors were: Mahon, Donogh, Finghin, Finghin Og, Finghin Og Maol, Donogh, Concobher, and Donogh who held Coolmacow, etc., in 1656.

The eastern part of Kilmurry saw stirring times. First it belonged to the O'Mahonys of Rath Raithleann. Then it came into the possession of the Norman De Cogan, who installed himself at Dundraighneain and built Castlemore Castle, and he in turn was superseded by the Blarney branch of the McCarthy family who, with the help of the MacSwineys, imposed their sway in this district from Mashanaglas to Kilcrea.



from Burke's History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland (1879):

Mahony of Dromore Castle

The O'Mahonys were in early times powerful chieftains in Munster, and had extensive estates along the seacoast of Cork and Kerry. From old family documents, it appears that the ancestors of the present Richard John Mahony, Esq., of Dromore Castle, held for a long period the office of Seneschal of Kerry, even down to the time of the Commonwealth. On the 25th March, 1639, MacDermot Mahony was confirmed as High Sheriff of Kerry by letters patent from Charles I. Not long after, the O'Mahonys, true to their allegiance, suffered fine and confiscation, and finally sought in foreign climes the distinction denied them at home.

Col. Dermot O'Mahony, of Rosbrin, a faithful adherent of James II, fought and fell at Aughrim. His brother, Daniel Mahony, received the honor of knighthood from that monarch at St. Germains, for his gallant conduct at Cremona and afterwards, for his good services in France, Spain and Italy, obtained the title of Count from Louis XIV. This was the celebrated Gen. Count Mahony, of the Spanish service, so distinguished at Alamanza, and in Sicily as Commander-in-Chief of the Spanish troops.

At the present time the chief lines of the great House of Mahony, still present in Co. Kerry, are Mahony of Dromore Castle, now represented by John Mahony, Esq., of that place; and Mahony of Castlequin.



Mahonys who have received arms (listed in The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales by Sir Edmund Burke, C.B., LL.D., Ulster King of Arms, London 1884):

Mahony (Dunloe Castle, co. Kerry; allowed by Fortescue, Ulster, 1792, as the arms of Daniel Mahony, Esq., of Dunloe, descended from O'Mahony, of Castle O'Mahony, co. Cork), Quarterly: 1st and 4th, or, a lion rampant, az.; 2nd, per pale arg. and gules a lion rampant counterchanged; 3rd arg., a chevron gules between three lizards in pale sa. Crest -- A naked arm embowed, the hand grasping a sword flammant all ppr. Another Crest--An arm in armour embowed, holding a sword ppr. run through a fleur-de-lis or. Motto-- Lasair romhuin a buadh.

Mahony (allowed by Fortescue, Ulster, 1792, to William Mahony, Knight of the Order of Maria Theresa, an officer in the Austrian service, second son of John Mahony, Esq., of Dunloe Castle). Same Arms and Motto. Crest--Out of a foreign coronet or, with nine silver balls on the rim, an arm in armour embowed, holding a sword all ppr. run through a fleur-de-lis gold.

Mahony (exemplified by Betham, Ulster, to John Hickson, a minor, second son of John Hickson, Esq., of Dingle, co. Kerry, on his assuming, by royal licence, 1827, the surname of Mahony only, in memory of his maternal uncle, Richard Mahony, Esq., of Dromore, co. Kerry). Quarterly: 1st and 4th, or, a lion rampant, az.; 2nd, per pale arg. and gules a lion rampant counterchanged; 3rd arg., a chevron gules between three snakes wavy in pale sa. Crest -- Out of the coronet of a count of France, a dexter arm armed, embowed ppr. the hand bare, grasping a sword ppr. hilt and pommel or, run through a fleur-de-lis of the last. Motto-- Lasair romhuin a buadh.

O'Mahony (a Sept possessing the territory of Hy Eathach, or Ivaugh, co. Cork, deriving their name from Mathghamhna, Chief of the Sept, 1014). Quarterly: 1st and 4th, or, a lion rampant, az.; 2nd, per pale arg. and gules a lion rampant counterchanged; 3rd arg., a chevron gules between three snakes torqued ppr. Crest -- Out of a viscount's coronet or, an arm in armour embowed, holding a sword ppr. pommel and hilt or, pierced through a fleur-de-lis az.

O'Mahony (allowed by Hawkins, Ulster, 1712, to John Mahony, Captain of a regiment in the service of the emperor of Germany, son of Jeremiah Mahony, Colonel in the army of James II, descended from the O'Mahonys, co. Cork). Same Arms and Crest.



from: The Cork Examiner, January 29, 1847

TO THE EDITOR OF THE CORK EXAMINER.

BANDON BRIDGE PLACE, JAN. 23RD, 1847

SIR-- permit me to call your attention to the awful condition of the poor of this town. I shall confine myself to a few facts in order to show that famine, distress, and death are rapidly increasing in this town and neighbourhood.

On Wednesday the Poor House was virtually closed, there being 1,205 inmates in the House only intended to contain 900 persons. Out of the above number, 187 were in Hospital, 57 of whom are in fever; besides 5 of the paid officers-- namely the Roman Catholic Chaplain, Clerk, matron, school master, and mistress. Add to this the crowded state of the Bandon Fever Hospital only intended for 28 persons but now holding 40 fever patients.

The want of accommodation in the Poor House will in a great measure tend to increase this frightful state of misery here.

I this day visited one district of our town with Dr. Ormston, Physician to the Bandon Fever Hospital and Dispensary, and the catalogue of disease and want baffles description. One woman of the name of Dalton died of want and dysentery and has been lying unburied for four days, her family not having the means to procure a coffin. A man also is lying dead and unburied from the same cause.

I see several others suffering from dysentery without straw for a bed, or blankets to cover them, being in an utter state of destitution. In fact every second house presented a scene of misery and want.

Watergate also furnishes heart rending cases of distress. Dysentery is setting in, and I fear its victims will be numerous. It is only a very small portion of the town which my statement refers to. An effort commensurate with the magnitude of the evil ought to be made-- I would suggest that application be made by the Soup Committee to the Government for assistance. --Also, that an application be made to the Central Committees of London and Dublin for contribution to our funds, so that more extensive relief may be afforded and thereby be the means of saving the lives of many of our suffering fellow creatures.

I have the honor to remain, Sir, your obedient servant,

WILLIAM C. SULLIVAN



Julia's mother Johanna's maiden name--Sexton--sounds English, but according to MacLysaght, Irish Families (1957): He also gives Shasnan as a variant. A map in Irish Families showing the distribution of surnames in 1300-1600 AD shows O'Sexton located in Limerick city.


Julia's husband Patrick Boland similarly has an anglicized surname, but according to Irish Familes (1957):

The older form of this name--O'Bolan--is almost obsolete, though it is occasionally found without the prefix O. The usual modern form--Boland--never has the O, though entitled to it, the Gaelic being Ó Beólláin. The addition of D at the end of the name is an anglicized affectation comparable to changing -ahan into -ham, as in the case of Markham for Markahan. The final D does not once appear in the Elizabethan Fiants though the name in four different forms occurs nine times in those records, principally in Co. Sligo.

There are at least two distinct septs of the name, one of the Ui Fiachrach line, seated at Doonaltan, (barony of Tireragh, Co. Sligo); the other being Dalcassian, of Thomond. The former may be distinct from that of Drumcliff, also in Co. Sligo, where O'Bolans were erenaghs of the church of St. Columban. The Thomond sept is descended from Mahon, brother of Brian Ború: for this we have the authority of An Leabhar Muimhneach, but MacFirbis traces them to another Mahon, less closely related to the great Brian. Present day representatives of these septs are chiefly found in north Connacht and in east Clare where the picturesque fishing village of Mountshannon on Lough Derg perpetuates the homeland of the sept in its Gaelic name Baile ui Beoláin (or Ballybolan). In the seventeenth century it was also numerous in Offaly. References to the name Ó Beólláin occur occasionally in the Annals in early mediæval times, but since the Anglo-Norman invasion they have not been prominent in the political or cultural history of the country. To-day Boland is a household word in the milling industry of Dublin, and is also prominent in the person of Frederick Boland, formerly ambassador to Great Britain and later Ireland's permanent representative to the United Nations Organization.



Another famous Boland was Harry Boland, the right hand man of Michael Collins during the fight for Irish independence, but who ended up opposing Collins in the Irish civil war of the 1920s.

Boland's Mills in Dublin was occupied by the IRA during the 1916 Easter uprising.

The first Irish Olympic medalist was John Mary Pious Boland, winning two golds for tennis (singles and doubles) in 1896 at Athens. Before 1924, Irish athletes competed under the British flag, and Boland complained bitterly when the Union Jack was hoisted following his victories.

An interesting anecdote about Frederick Boland, mentioned above: when Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev banged his shoe on his desk at the United Nations in 1960, Boland, who was President at that meeting, broke his gavel trying to restore order. His daughter, Eavan Boland, is a poet.

BOLAND, Edward Patrick, a Representative from Massachusetts; born in Springfield, Hampden County, Mass., October 1, 1911; educated in Central High School, Bay Path Institute; attended Boston College Law School; member of the State house of representatives 1935-1940; register of deeds for Hampden County 1941-1952; enlisted in May 1942 as a private in the United States Army and served through the ranks until his discharge as a captain in 1946, serving eleven months overseas in the Philippines; elected as a Democrat to the Eighty-third and to the seventeen succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1953-January 3, 1989); chairman, Select Committee on Intelligence (Ninety-fifth through Ninety-eighth Congresses); was not a candidate for renomination in 1988 to the One Hundred First Congress; is a resident of Springfield, Mass. (Biographical Dictionary of the United States Congress)



Rev. Francis Mahony (1804-1866) was a Cork poet who, under the pseudonym of Father Prout wrote The Bells of Shandon, which begins:

Landowners with surname Mahony in County Cork, 1876
Census and other records for County Cork Mahonys



last updated 3/4/99 by Joe Knapp jmk@copperas.com